Event Date: The 2020 event has been postponed and is tentatively planned for April 17, 2021 if most students can physically gather to work as a team. We are evaluating options to virtually judge the competition, and more information will be posted in December.
The New Mexico Middle School Electric Car Challenge consists of a battery-powered model car race, design competition, as well as the option to compete in an oral presentation.
Building a battery-powered car requires skills in both math and science. The primary goal of the competition is to generate enthusiasm for science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills at a crucial stage in the development of middle school students.
- Teams are provided everything needed to power a battery model car, including design materials to construct the car - chassis, wheels, gears, etc.
- Entrants will be limited to the first 50 teams that register by the deadline.
- Teams may be made up of a maximum of 6 students.
- Each school can register up to three teams.
- A free teacher workshop is available with registration.