Sandia National Laboratories recognizes high school students annually at the awards banquet.
The Thunderbird Awards reward young people who, through hard work and determination, overcome great personal difficulties to achieve their goals. Their achievements earn them roles as leaders and role models to other at-risk teenagers, as well as $1,500. The awards were created by Sandia National Laboratories and Lockheed Martin in 1994 and are conducted by Community Involvement, since their inception.
- Will be graduating in May
- Overcame major obstacles or adversity in achieving success
- Improved grade point to a 2.5 or top 40% of class
- Enhanced lives of others
- Has formulated a plan for the future
- 12 Albuquerque highschools: Albuquerque, Cibola, Del Norte, Eldorado, Highland, La Cueva, Manzano, Sandia, Rio Grande, Valley, Volcano Vista, West Mesa.
- 6 alternative schools: Atrisco Heritage Academy, eCADEMY, Freedom High School, New Futures School, School on Wheels, Sierra Alternative
- 5 regional high schools: Belen Infinity High School, Bernalillo, Los Lunas, Moriarty, Rio Rancho
- Teacher Nominee Form (PDF, 73.5 KB)