The Jill Hruby Fellowship in National Security Science and Engineering is one of Sandia National Laboratories’ most prestigious postdoctoral fellowships. This fellowship is for women in engineering and science fields who are interested in technical leadership careers in national security.
Jill Hruby is the first woman to have been appointed director of a large, multidisciplinary national security laboratory and has been a driving force for other women at Sandia and across the country to follow careers in technical leadership.
Jill Hruby Fellows pursue independent research that supports Sandia’s purpose: developing advanced technologies to ensure global peace. Fellows receive technical mentorship and participate in a unique, prestigious leadership development program.
To be considered for this fellowship, applicants must display excellence in scientific and/or engineering research and show clear promise of becoming an outstanding leader. Fellows may work at either of Sandia’s principal locations in New Mexico and California. All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship.
Sandia’s competitive wage and benefits package includes an annual salary of $111,200; flexible work arrangements; 11 paid holidays; three weeks of vacation; health, vision, and dental insurance; and a 401(k) savings plan with company match.
- Ph.D. conferred within the past three years or completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Evidence of strong academic achievement, exceptional technical accomplishment, leadership
andability to team effectively
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory (internships excluded)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance, which requires US citizenship
- Research in areas relevant to national security
- Creativity and self-motivation
- Good communication skills
- Interest in management/leadership
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in service to the nation
- Broad-based background and extensive knowledge in one or more of the following areas: bioscience, computing and information science, engineering sciences, geoscience, materials science, nanotechnology and microsystems, and radiation effects and high energy density sciences
The Hruby Fellowship is a three-year appointment. The application deadline is usually early in November, and the appointment normally commences on Oct. 1, although exceptions may be made to accommodate special circumstances.
To apply for the Hruby Fellowship:
- Download and read the Hruby Leadership Application Guidelines and submit the required documentation, as described in the guidelines.
- Locate job opening 662647 on Sandia's Careers search page.
- Click "Apply Now," and follow the instructions to upload your resume.