The Jill Hruby Fellowship in National Security Science and Engineering is one of Sandia National Laboratories’ most prestigious postdoctoral fellowships. This fellowship aims to develop women in engineering and science fields who are interested in research and technical leadership careers in national security.
Jill Hruby is the first woman to have been appointed director of a large, multidisciplinary national security laboratory. Most recently, Hruby was appointed as the new Administrator of the National Nuclear Security Administration. She has been a driving force for other women at Sandia and across the country to follow careers in technical leadership.
Jill Hruby Fellows pursue independent research that supports Sandia’s purpose: developing advanced technologies to ensure global peace. Fellows receive technical mentorship and participate in a unique, prestigious leadership development program.
To be considered for this fellowship, applicants must display excellent abilities in scientific and/or engineering research and show clear promise of becoming an extraordinary leader. Fellows may work at either of Sandia’s principal locations in New Mexico or California. All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship.
Sandia’s competitive wage and benefits package includes an annual salary of $111,200; flexible work arrangements; 11 paid holidays; three weeks of vacation; health, vision, and dental insurance; and a 401(k) savings plan with company match.
- Ph.D. conferred within the past three years or completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Evidence of strong academic achievement, excellent technical accomplishment, leadership and ability to team effectively
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory (internships excluded)
- Development and submission of a compelling research proposal
- Research in areas relevant to national security
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance, which requires US citizenship
- Creativity and self-motivation
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in management/leadership
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in service to the nation
- Broad-based background and extensive knowledge in one or more of the following areas: bioscience, computing and information science, engineering sciences, geoscience, materials science, nanotechnology and microsystems, and radiation effects and high energy density sciences
The Hruby Fellowship is a three-year appointment. The application materials and online application must be received by 5 PM Mountain Daylight Time October 15, 2021, and commences on October 1, 2022, although exceptions may be made to accommodate special circumstances.
To apply for the Hruby Fellowship:
- Download and read the Hruby Leadership Application Guidelines and prepare the required documentation, as described in the guidelines.
- Search "Hruby Fellowship" on Sandia’s Careers portal.
- Click "Apply Now," and follow the instructions to upload your application, including resume and required documentation as described in the guidelines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.