We are now accepting applications for the 2022 Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellowship. We seek researchers with a background and interest in the broadly defined domain of data science to include machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistical methods, autonomy and related areas. Data Science touches most of Sandia’s diverse missions, and we are particularly interested in applicants excited by the prospect of developing and applying data science techniques to scientific and engineering applications relevant to Sandia’s diverse missions.
As a Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellow, you will:
- Address complex problems in support of broad-ranging national security areas
- Collaborate with highly motivated researchers on challenging research
questions using state-of-the-art computational resources, and
- Present your work at leading publication and conference venues
In addition to Fellows in general data science, Sandia is also seeking applicants specifically interested in research of autonomy for flight systems to enable advanced, autonomous, and flexible aerospace systems operating in adversarial environments. These challenges span perception, situational awareness, real-time motion planning, mission planning and analysis, and cooperative teaming of diverse agents, as well as other potential challenges for autonomous aerospace systems.
We expect to hire multiple Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellows in two categories:
- One Sandia Data Science Fellow within the general areas of data-science described above
- One Sandia Data Science Fellows in the special focus area of autonomous aerospace systems
The selected Fellows will receive a two-year appointment with the potential option for a third year, which includes a highly competitive salary, moving expenses, and a generous professional travel allowance. You will be expected to pursue a combination of both self-directed research in your topical area and integration with existing Sandia R&D projects, under the guidance of Sandia staff mentors. You will be expected to publish the results of your work in leading journals and present your work at top-tier conferences. A proposal on your research plan will be requested as part of the application process.
- You have, or are pursuing, a Ph.D. in a data science related area, such as statistics, applied/computational mathematics, computer science, or engineering, conferred within the past three years, or anticipated completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Your background includes the appropriate research experience, as evidenced by a strong record of research publications and presentations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and demonstrated interest and/or experience in service to the nation
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory
- You can acquire a DOE security clearance, which requires US citizenship
Ideally, your background would also include:
(not all areas are expected of every candidate)
- Proven ability to advance the state-of-the-art in data science, autonomous systems, or artificial intelligence disciplines and/or related fields of study
- Ability to conduct self-directed research
- Ability to work in collaborative, interdisciplinary research environments on problems comprising diverse application domains
- Proven research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, outreach activities, etc.
- Related professional experience such as internships in industry or at other national labs, participation in visiting research programs, etc.
- A dedication to fostering an inclusive culture, as demonstrated in your application materials
- Software development experience in C++, C, Matlab, R, Python, Julia, or related languages
- Familiarity or experience with machine learning methods such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, or another form of artificial intelligence
- International recognition for your research with one or more high-impact publications
- Ability to travel for business and research purposes
- For candidates applying to the focus area on autonomous aerospace systems: familiarity or experience with autonomous sensing, complex system guidance and control, data fusion, cooperative teaming, or adversarial gameplay, especially for aerospace systems
To apply for the Data Science Fellowship:
- Search “Data Science Fellowship” on Sandia’s Careers portal and complete the online application
- Submit a single PDF file containing your cover letter, CV, and a 3-5 page research proposal when applying. In your cover letter, please include your interest for general data science, autonomous aerospace systems, or both in the email body.
- Have three letters of recommendation sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2021 DS Fellowship” in the subject line.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.