The Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellowship is a new prestigious postdoctoral research fellowship with funding from Sandia’s Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program.
We seek researchers with a background and interest in the broadly defined domain of data science to include machine learning, artificial intelligence, autonomy and related areas. We are particularly interested in applicants excited by the prospect of developing and applying data science techniques to scientific and engineering applications relevant to Sandia’s diverse missions including energy systems, cybersecurity, geospatial analysis, autonomous vehicles, and other national security systems.
As a Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellow, you will:
- Address complex problems in support of broad-ranging national security areas
- Collaborate with highly motivated researchers on challenging research
questions using state-of-the-art computational resources, and
- Present your work at leading publication and conference venues
Sandia is seeking Fellows in general data science, but we are also interested in data science Fellows looking to advance autonomous technologies to support advanced flight systems for operation in adversarial environments.
The selected Fellows will receive a one-year appointment with the option for a second and possibly a third year, and includes a highly competitive salary, moving expenses and a generous professional travel allowance.
You will be expected to pursue a combination of both self-directed research in your topical area and integration with existing Sandia R&D projects, under the guidance of Sandia staff mentors. A proposal on your research plan will be requested as part of the interview process. You are expected to publish the results of your work in leading journals and present your work at top-tier conferences.
We expect to hire multiple Sandia Data Science Postdoctoral Fellows in two categories:
- One Sandia Data Science Fellow within the general areas of data-science described above, and
- Up to two Sandia Data Science Fellows in the special focus area of autonomous hypersonic systems.
Applicants should indicate their preference to be considered for the general data-science, autonomous hypersonic systems, or both categories within your application materials.
Sandia National Laboratories is committed to nurturing a culture compatible with a broad group of people and perspectives. Consistent with this commitment, we seek applicants from diverse backgrounds and we foster an inclusive research community.
- You have, or are pursuing, a Ph.D. in a data science related area, such as statistics, applied/computational mathematics, computer science, or engineering, conferred within the past three years, or anticipated completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Your background includes the appropriate research experience, as evidenced by a strong record of research publications and presentations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and demonstrated interest and/or experience in service to the nation
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance, which requires US citizenship
Ideally, your background would also include:
(not all areas are expected of every candidate)
- Proven ability to advance the state-of-the-art in data science, autonomous systems, or artificial intelligence disciplines and/or related fields of study
- Ability to conduct self-directed research
- Ability to work in collaborative, interdisciplinary research environments on problems comprising diverse application domains
- Proven research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, outreach activities, etc.
- Related professional experience such as internships in industry or at other national labs, participation in visiting research programs, etc.
- A commitment to fostering an inclusive culture, as demonstrated in your application materials
- Software development experience in C++, C, Matlab, R, Python, Julia, or related languages
- Familiarity or experience with machine learning methods such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, or another form of artificial intelligence
- International recognition for your research with one or more high-impact publications
- Ability to travel for business and research purposes
- For candidates applying to the 2020 focus area on autonomous hypersonic systems: familiarity or experience with autonomous system control, trajectory estimation, or path planning algorithms, especially for flight systems
To apply for the Data Science Fellowship:
- Search “Data Science Fellowship” on Sandia’s Careers portal.
- Submit a single PDF file containing your cover letter, CV, and a 3-5 page research proposal when applying.
- Have three letters of recommendation sent to email@example.com when posting becomes available.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.