Sponsored by Sandia’s Engineering Sciences Center, the Research and Applications of Mechanics of Structures (RAMS) Institute provides students an opportunity to work with outstanding technical staff in providing engineering solutions to national security mission deliverables. Institute participants will research, develop, and apply computational capabilities to define mechanical environments and simulate response of complex structural systems subjected to extreme loading conditions.
Students work in a collaborative environment and participate in frequent technical and team building activities throughout their internship, including career discussions, tours and presentations by invited speakers. Students are assigned to projects and mentors through a process that matches their interests to on-going projects. In addition to their main project work, and depending on interests, some students may also participate in other supporting program or project opportunities.
What You Gain
RAMS interns will gain skills in the following areas:
- Experience with world-class researchers and tools
- Applications-driven impact
- Broadened perspective of professional engineering environment
- New skill sets for modeling of complex systems
- Multidisciplinary mentoring and networking
- An introduction to Sandia National Laboratories
- A chance to explore New Mexico and the Southwest
Work performed by participants could include:
- Solid mechanics and structural dynamic analysis in support of research, product development, and product qualification
- Development of material constitutive equations and computational codes
- Prediction of the behavior and failure of material in multi-physics environments
- Shock physics analysis
- Integration of complex environmental test operations with computational simulation activities
|Level||Undergrad (Junior & higher)|
|Desired Skills||Solid Mechanics|
Finite Element Modeling
Computer Programming and Scripting
- Use Sandia’s Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Enter “RAMS” into the Keywords text field, and click Search.
- Browse the list of RAMS intern openings.
- Complete an online application for a specific intern opening
Detailed instructions for using Sandia’s Career tool to apply for a position are also available.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.