iSAFE is a student intern institute dedicated to “exceptional service in the national interest“- President Harry S. Truman. Our mission space is to aid in the advancement of security, arms control, and force protection engineering. Our goal is to develop future problem solvers capable of tackling the world’s most pressing challenges.
The Interns for Security, Arms Control, and Force Protection Engineering (iSAFE) program gives interns the opportunity to develop next-generation systems for compelling national security missions. Interns work on complex and challenging problems to lower the risk posed by high-consequence events, such as nuclear and biological proliferation, terrorist threats, catastrophic incidents, and potentially destabilizing events. Projects range from small Research and Development efforts to large, multidisciplinary team collaborations.
Sponsored by Sandia’s Global Security Division, iSAFE offers technical mentors and projects in critical asset protection and security, weapon and force protection, and nonproliferation and cooperative threat reduction. The mission of iSAFE is to contribute to national security through the effective use of science, technology and full-spectrum system solutions to lower the risk posed by high-consequence events. iSAFE’s objective is to create a pipeline of highly skilled and competent Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) interns for possible future employment at Sandia.
What You Gain
- Work in a team to design, develop, implement, test, and deliver advanced data processing software and other nationally significant projects
- Work in a collaborative learning environment and assume significant responsibilities for assisting in the development of first-of-a-kind software solutions and data exploitation methods to solve challenging technical problems for national security needs
- Utilize your knowledge, skills, and abilities to deliver quick and accurate solutions to complex mechanical designs
- Develop new skills that focus on addressing needed capabilities for our projects
- Contribute to data analysis and review in support of our nuclear security mission projects
- Record, analyze and report on results of failure mitigation systems
- Work with other Sandia National Laboratories Intern Institutes on shared projects
- Develop product or human/system interface designs that improve usability, enhance performance, and prevent errors
Potential projects available for interns include the following:
- Analysis & virtualized experimentation of Information Technology and Operational Technology systems for proving communication security and resilience
- Cyber Red/Blue teaming to demonstrate the effects of exploiting common network vulnerabilities and misconfigurations
- Develop high-fidelity explosive simulations for critical missions
- Design a blast generator for ballistic/explosive experiments
- Characterize the fluid flow and optical properties of 3D printed material
- Develop next generation cyber or physical intrusion alarm display using advanced 3D graphics and machine driven analysis
|When Offered||Year Round|
|Level||Undergrad (Sophomore & higher)|
|Desired disciplines, |
skills and experience
Human Factors or related fields of study
- Use Sandia’s Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Enter “iSAFE” into the Keywords text field, and click Search.
- Browse the list of iSAFE intern openings.
- Complete an online application for a specific intern opening.
Detailed instructions for using Sandia’s Career tool to apply for a position are also available.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.