Sandia established the President Harry S. Truman Fellowship in National Security Science and Engineering to attract the best nationally recognized new Ph.D. scientists and engineers. This three-year fellowship is named for President Truman who charged Sandia in 1949 with providing "an exceptional service in the national interest" - a motto that leads Sandia to excel to this day.
Truman Fellows conduct independent ground-breaking research that supports Sandia's national-security mission. Fellows choose their own research topics and benefit by having access to Sandia's state-of-the-art facilities and collaborating with some of the nation's best scientists and engineers. Fellows may work at either of Sandia's principal locations in New Mexico and California.
A member of Sandia's technical staff mentors each Truman Fellow. This emphasis on research mentoring enables Fellows to become integral members of Sandia R&D teams, as evidenced by a conversion-to-staff rate of approximately 65% while acquiring unique skills during their early career development.
Sandia's competitive wage and benefits package includes an annual salary of $111,200; flexible work arrangements; 11 paid holidays; three weeks of vacation; health, vision, and dental insurance; and a 401(k) savings plan with company match.
- Ph.D. awarded within the past three years at the time of application or completed Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Excellent academic and research qualifications
- Evidence of exceptional technical accomplishments, leadership, and ability to thrive in a dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Candidates must be seeking their first national laboratory appointment (pre-postdoc internships acceptable)
- Ability to obtain a DOE “Q” clearance, which requires US citizenship
The Truman Fellowship is a three-year appointment that typically begins on October 1. The application deadline for fellows is November 1 of the year prior to the October start date. Applicants for the Truman Fellowship may be considered for other positions at Sandia.
To apply for the Truman Fellowship, follow these steps:
- Read the Truman Fellowship application guidelines (PDF, 162 kB), and submit the required documentation, as described in the guidelines.
- Locate job opening 667285 for the Harry S. Truman Fellowship.
- Click Apply Now, and follow the instructions to upload your resume.