Receive mentoring, training, and practical work experience in a world-class research environment.
An exceptional educational experience
Are you interested in applying classroom theory in a real-world work environment? Each year, Sandia welcomes students from around the country. Some are year-round interns who attend local schools, many come during the summer, and others co-op during the academic year. We offer a wide range of technical and business-related opportunities for students ranging from high school (ages 16+) to those working on their Ph.D degrees.
We offer intern and co-op opportunities that…
- Provide students with research mentoring from top scientists and engineers.
- Offer students training and practical work experience in using state-of-the-art equipment and instruments.
- Identify outstanding graduates for possible full-time employment.
- Help students gain academic credit while working as co-op interns. (Ask your college's co-op or internship office about these work-study programs that are offered during the fall, winter, and spring.)
Intern and co-op positions at Sandia have the following requirements:
- U.S. citizenship
- At least 16 years of age
- Full-time enrollment status at an accredited college, university, or local high school (typically 12 units for undergraduate students and 9 units for graduate students unless otherwise determined by the institution)
- Year-round/co-op intern – Must be a full-time student during the academic school year (spring, fall, and winter)
- Summer intern – Must be a full-time student during the spring term immediately preceding the internship
- Academic intern – Must be a full-time student during the term (spring, fall, or winter) immediately preceding the internship
- Minimum cumulative grade point average
- 3.5/4.0 for graduate students
- 3.2/4.0 for undergraduate and high school students applying for technical or business positions
- 2.5/4.0 for undergraduate and high school students applying for clerical or laborer* positions
(* Laborer positions are available only at the Sandia/New Mexico site)
Please apply for an intern or co-op position at least three months prior to your desired start date.
- Use Sandia's Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Enter "student" or "SIP" into the Keywords text field, and click Search.
- Browse the list of intern and co-op openings.
- Complete an online application for a specific intern or co-op opening.
Detailed instructions for using Sandia's Careers tool to apply for a position are also available.
Selection for an intern or co-op position is based on your interests, academic achievement, applicable experience, and Sandia's workforce needs.