Computer scientists and engineers at Sandia work on a variety of projects that range from research to full life-cycle product development and support. For example, their research activities cover both "bits and bytes" operating systems-level research and leading-edge information technology research in areas such as distributed computing, intelligent agents, and network security. To support Sandia's national security missions, our computer scientists also conduct research in enabling technologies — including meshing, simulation frameworks, and visualization — and key application areas, such as shock physics and electrical-device modeling.
Computer scientists also create prototypical applications, service-oriented architecture solutions, and web-based corporate applications. In addition to developing and testing software for embedded and real-time systems, our computer scientists design and build information systems that transform raw data into crucial knowledge for decision makers.
Key areas for computer scientists and engineers at Sandia
- Advanced software research & development
- Collaborative technologies
- Computational science and mathematics
- High-performance computing
- Visualization and scientific computing
- Advanced computer architectures and systems
- Algorithms and solvers for massively parallel processing computing
- Service-oriented architecture
- Cyber security