Person logging in to computer

What do I need to do when I get an email telling me I need to enroll for HSPD-12?

Review your name as recorded in the e-mail you received (subject line: New Federal Credential Ready for Enrollment) to verify it is your correct legal name. It is important to ensure that this information matches what is on your proof-of-identification documents. If you need to make changes, contact HSPD-12Sponsor@sandia.gov in New Mexico or hspd12sponsorca@sandia.gov in California.

How do I schedule the appointment?

Follow instructions in the email you receive (as described above).

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

You will need to provide documentation to validate your identity during your enrollment. At your enrollment appointment you must present two forms of identification- a primary and a secondary. See the Acceptable Forms of Identification list for a description of acceptable forms of IDs. Your Sandia issued site-specific badge (LSSO) will not be accepted as a secondary form of ID.

Note: If your driver’s license is faded or worn, you may be asked to obtain a new one prior to your enrollment appointment.

If you do not have at least one form of primary ID and another secondary form of ID, you will not be able to enroll/register for your federal credential (a.k.a. smart card).

What if my identification documents do not match?

Your first and last name must match the names on the documents you provide during your enrollment appointment.

Some examples of mismatches that require a correction are:

  • Apparent typo or transposition of letters in the name (ex. Jmaes vs. James)
  • Mismatch between a given name and an alias, nickname, or derivative name (ex. Jim vs. James)
  • Mismatch between maiden name in one record and married name in the other
  • Mismatch of the suffix
  • Middle name on one document, no middle name on the other

If mismatches appear and it is the system that is incorrect, you will need to contact HSPD-12Sponsor@sandia.gov in New Mexico or hspd12sponsorca@sandia.gov in California.

Once this update is made, you will receive another e-mail to make an enrollment appointment. Once again, verify the personal information on the e-mail to be sure it is correct and matches the names on your identification documents.

What if I have been recently married/divorced and now my name is different?

If a mismatch occurs, but your identification documents are correct (e.g., you were recently married), you can bring what is called a linking document to your appointment. A linking document can be used to link two names on two identification source documents.

Acceptable linking documents include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Court record of name change
  • Divorce decree

The linking document must have both your former and current legal names on it and both the primary and secondary identification documents must be valid and not expired. For example, a married woman may use both a current driver’s license (with married name) and a certified copy of her birth certificate (with maiden name), but will be required to bring a linking document (e.g., marriage license) with both her maiden name and married name on it.