What is OPSEC?
- Acronym for Operations Security
- Five-step process / Simplified Two-step
- Supplements formal security disciplines
- Industry-wide (private and govt.)
- Applies to programs and activities at SNL and subcontractors
Goals of OPSEC
- To improve security posture and reduce risk
- Make intelligence or information gathering more difficult
- To deny or delay adversaries from obtaining classified or OPSEC Critical Information
OPSEC Good Practices
- Properly handle and destroy classified and sensitive unclassified information
- Phones, cell phones, faxes, and radios are subject to interception
- Be security-minded when doing these activities
- Use the most secure means of communicating
- Guard against unsolicited inquiries to obtain sensitive information (by person, phone, email, or social sites)
- Ensure critical information is not put in recycling or trash
- When off of SNL premises, keep your SNL badge out of site
- Don’t reveal critical info on internet social sites
- MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Avoid listing your SNL association
- Observe the Need-to-Know principle
- Know what needs to be protected!
- Know how to protect it!
The following brochures, published by SNL, are helpful resources in explaning the OPSEC process, both at work and at home.