Senior Member of Technical Staff
Sagar Gautam is an environmental scientist motivated to work on identifying the environmental impacts of land use and climate change on soil, water and air. He develops and implements the models (process model and machine learning models) to quantify the impact of human induced change on different environmental fluxes. The overall goal of his research is to use the environmental flux observation datasets and different genera of models to predict the fate of environmental fluxes (flow, water quality, soil carbon etc.) under changing climate and land use, benchmark and improve process representation in models to reduce uncertainty in prediction.
Bachelor Degree: Agriculture, Banaras Hindu University, 2012
Master Degree: Soil Science/Hydrology, South Dakota State University, 2014
Doctoral Degree: Bioengineering, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2018
Umakant Mishra, Sagar Gautam, (2022). Improving and testing machine learning methods for benchmarking soil carbon dynamics representation of land surface models https://doi.org/10.2172/1891184 Publication ID: 80258
Sagar Gautam, Sagar Gautam, Umakant Mishra, Scown Corinne, Scown Corinne, A Skye, A Skye, Adhikari Kabindra, Adhikari Kabindra, A Beth, A Beth, (2022). Continental United States may lose 1.8 petagrams of soil organic carbon under climate change by 2100 Global Ecology and Biogeography https://doi.org/10.1111/geb.13489 Publication ID: 80539
Daniel Gonçalves, Umakant Mishra, Skye Wills, Sagar Gautam, (2021). Regional environmental controllers influence continental scale soil carbon stocks and future carbon dynamics Scientific Reports https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-85992-y Publication ID: 77537
- Gautam, S., Costello, C., Baffaut, C., Thompson, A., & Sadler, E. J. (2021). Projection of future drought and extreme events occurrence in Goodwater Creek Experimental Watershed, Midwestern US. Hydrological Sciences Journal, (just-accepted).
- Gonçalves, D. R. P., Mishra, U., Wills, S., & Gautam, S. (2021). Regional environmental controllers influence continental scale soil carbon stocks and future carbon dynamics. Scientific Reports, 11(1), 1-10.
- Mishra, S. K., Gautam, S., Mishra, U., & Scown, C. D. (2021). Performance-Based Payments for Soil Carbon Sequestration Can Enable a Low-Carbon Bioeconomy. Environmental Science & Technology.
- Gautam, S., Mishra, U., Scown, C. D., & Zhang, Y. (2020). Sorghum biomass production in the continental United States and its potential impacts on soil organic carbon and nitrous oxide emissions. GCB Bioenergy, 12(10), 878-890.
- Mishra, U., Gautam, S., Riley, W., & Hoffman, F. M. (2020). Ensemble machine learning approach improves predicted spatial variation of surface soil organic carbon stocks in data-limited northern circumpolar region. Frontiers in Big Data, 3, 40.
- Phung, Q. A., Thompson, A. L., Baffaut, C., Costello, C., Sadler, E. J., Svoma, B. M., … & Gautam, S. (2019). Climate and Land Use Effects on Hydrologic Processes in a Primarily Rain‐Fed, Agricultural Watershed. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 55(5), 1196-1215.
- Owen, R. K., Webb, E. B., Goyne, K. W., Svoma, B. M., & Gautam, S. (2019). Framework for using downscaled climate model projections in ecological experiments to quantify plant and soil responses. Ecosphere, 10(9).
- Gautam, S., Mbonimpa, E., Kumar, S., & Bonta, J. (2018). Simulating Runoff from Small Grazed Pasture Watersheds Located at North Appalachian Experimental Watershed in Ohio. Rangeland Ecology & Management, 71(3), 363-369.
- Mbonimpa, E. G., Gautam, S., Lai, L., Kumar, S., Bonta, J. V., Wang, X., & Rafique, R. (2015). Combined PEST and Trial–Error approach to improve APEX calibration. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 114, 296-303.
- Gautam, S., Mbonimpa, E. G., Kumar, S., Bonta, J. V., & Lal, R. (2015). Agricultural Policy Environmental eXtender model simulation of climate change impacts on runoff from a small no-till watershed. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 70(2), 101-109. Kumar, S., Nakajima, T., Mbonimpa, E. G., Gautam, S., Somireddy, U. R., Kadono, A., … & Fausey, N. (2014). Long-term tillage and drainage influences on soil organic carbon dynamics, aggregate stability and corn yield. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 60(1), 108-118.