Members of the Workforce  must receive Sandia National Laboratories (Sandia), Department of Energy, and Country Clearance (Department of State) approval to conduct official international travel prior to departure. This includes travel to Mexico and Canada. 

Members of the Workforce are defined as: Sandia employees and contract personnel who are subject to the Sandia policies, processes, and procedures through the terms of their contract.

The term "official" international travel is defined by DOE as: Approved travel (whether wholly or partly on official business) meeting any of the following criteria:

  • Travel from the United States, which includes the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, and the territories and possessions of the United States, to a foreign country.

  • Travel between international countries, by persons, including foreign nationals, whose salaries or travel expenses or both will ultimately be funded in whole or in part by DOE or NNSA from its appropriations.

  • International travel funded by non-DOE or non-NNSA sources for which the traveler represents SNL, DOE or NNSA, or conducts business on behalf of the U.S. Government.

Process for Official International Travel Approval:

All Official International Travel must be submitted to the International Travel and Hand Carry application. The application requires cyber access to the Sandia Restricted Network (SRN).  Those without SRN access will need to contact your Sandia Designated Representative (SDR) to submit the travel request on the traveler’s behalf. (internal access only)

This request should be submitted 37 calendar days before departure. Once the request is submitted, the International Security Office will process the request and obtain necessary approvals from Sandia Management, Department of Energy and the Department of State.

Visit our homepage for more information (internal access only)

Unofficial International Travel:

There are two forms of Unofficial International Travel: Sensitive and Non-Sensitive

Non-Sensitive Unofficial International Travel:

If you are taking Sandia owned equipment or information, please submit an International Hand Carry.  This will require approval prior to departure. DOE approval is not required for this. It is recommended to submit your travel arrangements to MyTrips – ISOS .

Sensitive Unofficial International Travel:

If you are taking Sandia owned equipment or information, please submit an International Hand Carry.

Also, you must submit your travel arrangements to MyTrips - ISOS.  Please contact Counterintelligence prior to departure,

Required Training for Official International Travel:

High Threat Security Overseas Seminar: Required every 5 years, 4-5 hour course (

International Business Practices: Required annually, 1 hour course


Export Control Awareness Training: Required annually, 1 hour course


Safety and Security in Situational Awareness Briefing, Required every 2 years, 30 minute course


Certificate Completions of all trainings should be emailed to,

Important Notes for Official International Travel:

  • Training listed above should be completed 15 days prior to departure. 
  • Travel to High and Extreme risk countries require a Risk Mitigation Form with your travel submission. Contact our Regional Security Officers for more information.
  • Many countries require that your U.S. passport have 6 months validity remaining for entry into countries. Select countries may require visas for business travel. For information on passports and business visas visit our vendor’s site for information: The International Security Office can help with questions and packet submissions.
  • Official International Travel requests should be submitted  37 calendar daysprior to the date of departure. For more information  contact Security Connection at (505) 845-1321. They will help you determine the need for foreign travel approval.