Access to Sandia's Albuquerque, New Mexico, site is limited to visitors with valid business purposes. Arrangements to visit Sandia must be made beforehand with a sponsoring Sandian.
Sandia/New Mexico is located on Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB) in southeastern Albuquerque. If you are driving, you can easily find us by:
- Proceeding south from I-40 on Eubank Boulevard, or
- Proceeding south from I-40 on Wyoming Boulevard, or
- Proceeding east from I-25 on Gibson Boulevard.
The Sandia Badge Office is located just outside KAFB at the Innovation Parkway Office Center (IPOC), 1611 Innovation Parkway SE. From I-40, go south on Eubank Boulevard, turn left at the light to continue on Eubank (just before the Eubank Gate entrance to the base), and turn left onto Innovation Parkway where Eubank Boulevard ends. The three-story IPOC building is located on the left side shortly after you turn. See map.
Entering the base
Visitors with a standard Department of Energy (DOE) badge or a valid visitor badge issued from Sandia/New Mexico may present it to the guard at any KAFB gate and be granted entry. Other visitors can obtain a visitor badge from the Sandia Badge Office to gain entry to the base.
Vehicle passes for visitors are no longer required.
The guard may verify the following information from visitors:
- Current registration
- Proof of insurance
- Driver's license
- Rental agreement (if applicable)
Remember that your host has primary responsibility for ensuring that the details of your visit, including base entry, are properly coordinated beforehand with Sandia Security and with KAFB. Prospective visitors or Sandia hosts who have questions about the process may contact the Badge Office at (505) 284-3626.
All visitors must wear badges for the duration of their visits. You will need to present proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a driver's license or passport.
Your visitor badge must be returned to your host or the Badge Office upon departure.
Commercial delivery or pickup is defined as bringing materials, equipment, and/or supplies onto KAFB or taking them off base.
Deliveries/pickups should be made from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. Drivers must enter through the Sandia Contractor Gate (south of the Eubank Gate), and provide identification, proof of registration, and insurance. A Sandia host must schedule gate access in advance and escort you the entire time you are on base.
Deliveries/pickups that must be made from 8 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 4 p.m. (Monday through Friday) may enter through the Kirtland Gate, located on Gibson Boulevard, one block west of the Carlisle Gate. Be prepared to show two picture IDs, one of which must be federal- or state-issued.
- Carlisle — weekdays, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on holidays.
- Eubank — daily, 5 a.m. to midnight.
- Eubank Contractor Gate — weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Gibson — 24 hours.
- Kirtland — 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Maxwell — 24 hours.
- South Valley Gate — weekdays, 6-8:30 a.m. and 3:30-5:30 p.m. Closed on holidays.
- Truman — 24 hours.
- Wyoming — weekdays, 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sandia's workplace is drug-free and smoke-free (smoking is prohibited on all Sandia-managed property, inside and outside of buildings).
Certain electronic and radio-frequency (RF)-transmitting devices or their features are prohibited or controlled in Sandia's secure areas, including but not limited to:
- Cellular telephones
- Computers or associated media
- Electronics equipped with a data exchange port used to connect to automated information system equipment
- RF-transmitting equipment
- Recording devices (audio, video, optical, and data)
The following prohibited articles are not permitted into any security area without authorization:
- Dangerous weapons
- Instruments or material likely to produce substantial injury to persons or damage to persons or property
- Controlled substances (e.g., illegal drugs and associated paraphernalia)
- Hazardous radiological, chemical, or biological materials
- Any other item prohibited by law