My main research interest:
Development of peridynamics and its applications.
What is peridynamics?
Peridynamics is a new approach to continuum mechanics based on integral equations. It extends the classical theory of continuum mechanics to allow:
- Unguided modeling of fracture in metals and composites.
- Transition from continuous damage to fracture.
- Modeling of long-range forces within a continuous body.
- Atomistic to continuum coupling in a consistent mathematical framework.
Some background material
- A coarsening method for linear peridynamics, to appear in International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering. SAND2010-3303
- Crack nucleation in a peridynamic solid (with O. Weckner, E. Askari, and F. Bobaru), to appear in International Journal of Fracture. doi:10.1007/s10704-010-9447-z
- Green's functions in non-local three-dimensional linear elasticity (with O. Weckner, G. Brunk, M. A. Epton, and E. Askari). doi: 10.1098/rspa.2009.0234 .
- Convergence, adaptive refinement, and scaling in 1D peridynamics (with F. Bobaru, M. Yang, L. F. Alves, E. Askari, and J. Xu), International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 77 (2009) 852-877. doi:10:1002/nme.2439
- Peridynamics for multiscale materials modeling (with E. Askari, F. Bobaru, R. B. Lehoucq, M. L. Parks, and O. Weckner), Journal of Physics Conference Series 125 (2008) 012078. doi10.1088/1742-6596/125/1/012078
- Convergence of peridynamics to classical elasticity theory (with R. B. Lehoucq), Journal of Elasticity 93 (2008) 13-37. doi:10.1007/s10659-008-9163-3
- Force flux and the peridynamic stress tensor (with R. B. Lehoucq), Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 56 (2008) 1566-1577. doi:10.1016/j.jmps.2007.08.004
- Peridynamic states and constitutive modeling (with M. Epton, O. Weckner, J. Xu, and E. Askari), Journal of Elasticity 88 (2007) 151-184. doi:10.1007/s10659-007-9125-1
Peridynamics via finite element analysis (with R. W. Macek), Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 43 (2007) 1169-1178. doi:10.1016/j.finel.2007.08.012
Peridynamic modeling of concrete structures (with W. Gerstle and N. Sau), Nuclear Engineering and Design 237 (2007) 1250-1258. doi:10.1016/j.nucengdes.2006.10.002
- Statistical coarse-graining of molecular dynamics into peridynamics (with R. B. Lehoucq) SAND2007-6410 (2007)
- Peridynamic analysis of damage and failure in composites (with E. Askari and J. Xu) 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, AIAA-2006-88 (2006)
- Reformulation of elasticity theory for discontinuities and long-range forces, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 48 (2000) 175-209. doi:10.1016/S0022-5096(99)00029-0
S.B., 1977, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Physics and Nuclear Engineering
M.Eng., 1980, University of California, Berkeley, Nuclear Engineering
Ph.D. 1986, California Institute of Technology, Applied Mechanics
I have been a faculty member at Brown University, a visiting faculty member at the California Institute of Technology, and a Visiting Scholar at the Boeing Company.
I am currently a Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, in the Dynamic Multiscale Material Modeling Department.
Some people who have contributed to peridynamics
Prof. Rohan Abeyaratne, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ms. Abigail Agwal, University of Arizona
Dr. Bacim Alali, Lousiana State University
Mr. Leonardo F. Alves, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Dr. Abe Askari, The Boeing Company
Prof. Kaushik Bhattacharya, California Institute of Technology
Mr. Justin Birkey, Kansas State University
Dr. Joseph Bishop, Sandia National Laboratories
Prof. Florin Bobaru, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Prof. Kaushik Dayal, Carnegie-Mellon University
Dr. Paul Demmie, Sandia National Laboratories
Prof. Etienne Emmrich, Technical University of Berlin
Mr. John Foster, Sandia National Laboratories
Prof. Walter Gerstle, University of New Mexico
Mr. Bahattin Kilic, University of Arizona
Prof. Kevin Lease, Kansas State University
Dr. Richard Lehoucq, Sandia National Laboratories
Prof. Robert Lipton, Louisiana State University
Dr. Richard W. Macek, Los Alamos National Laboratories
Prof. Erdogan Madenci, University of Arizona
Mr. Erkan Oterkus, University of Arizona
Dr. Michael Parks, Sandia National Laboratories
Dr. Steven Plimpton, Sandia National Laboratories
Dr. Nicolas Sau, University of New Mexico
Prof. David Steigmann, University of California, Berkeley
Prof. Dan Swenson, Kansas State University
Mr. Michael Taylor, Univeristy of California, Berkeley
Dr. Paul Taylor, Sandia National Laboratories
Dr. Thomas L. Warren, Consultant
Dr. Olaf Weckner, The Boeing Company
Ms. Wei Xie, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Dr. Jifeng Xu, The Boeing Company
Prof. Mijia Yang, University of Texas at El Paso
Mr. Kebing Yu, Kansas State University
MS-1322, P.O. Box 5800, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM 87185-1322 USA
EMU Peridynamic Code
Peridynamics Wikipedia page
LAMMPS Molecular Dynamics Code
"Please repeat the question?"
(Photo courtesy R. Brannon)