Congratulations on your job offer! We look forward to welcoming you to a rewarding student internship at Sandia. To accept your offer, please follow the steps below.
To avoid delays, please scan and email these materials to Sandia as soon as possible, but no later than seven business days of receiving your email offer letter. Please send to Student Intern Programs (contact information to the right).
1. Review your job offer letter.
Your offer letter will be emailed to you by Student Intern Programs.
2. Complete, sign, and submit the Pre-Employment Background Review form to Security electronically.
Please expect a generic email from email@example.com This email will provide you with a username, password, and link to access the electronic inbox where you will finish creating your account.
- Review PEBR instructions (1st page of the PEBR form).
- Complete the PEBR.
- Ensure you have signed all areas indicated (by hand or electronically). If you use an electronic signature, it must be printable and reproducible.
- Upload the PEBR to your computer.
- In the RMFT tool, create a “New” package.
- Send to: snl:SIPPEBR
- NOTE: You must manually enter snl:SIPPEBR in the “To” address bar. DO NOT simply click “Reply” or send the PEBR to student hiring. DELAYS WILL OCCUR IF NOT SUBMITTED CORRECTLY.
- Upload the completed PEBR by clicking the “Add” button.
- Click the “Send” button to complete your submittal of the PEBR.
If you have not received an e-mail within 24 hours or for technical assistance with the RMFT electronic inbox, please contact your Student Intern Programs representative.
Forms are to be completed and submitted electronically. You must sign all required pages (by hand or electronically). If you use an electronic signature, it must be printable and reproducible.
As a national laboratory funded by a U.S. government agency, we are subject to federal laws regarding illegal drug use. Marijuana use, including for medicinal purposes, is a violation of federal law, even in places where it does not violate state law. Illegal use of a controlled substance within the last 12 months will automatically disqualify candidates from consideration for employment or for a Department of Energy security clearance.
3. Establish a desired start date with your mentor.
Contact your mentor to determine a tentative start date. Refer to the 2020 CA New Hire Intern Sign-In Schedule for a list of possible start dates.
All employment contingencies must be met at least two weeks prior to the tentative start date.
We must receive all forms related to your Step 2 offer acceptance two weeks prior to your tentative start date.
4. Complete, sign, and submit the following five forms.
- Employment Acceptance form (PDF, 33 KB) - Sign both pages of this form.
- Employee Proprietary Information and Innovation Agreement form (PDF, 34 KB)
- Commitment to Pursue a DOE Security Clearance form (PDF, 87 KB)
- Alternate Work Schedule Agreement (PDF, 382 KB) - Please read, complete page 5, and leave the space for the Employee ID number blank.
*NOTE: Required for hourly paid employees only. If you are unsure whether you are an hourly paid employee, please refer to your offer letter.
- Affirmative Action Program form (PDF, 111 KB)
The below forms are required if you are currently under 18 years of age.
- State of California Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit – Certificate of Age – If applicable, complete the Minor’s Information and School Information and return this form. We will complete the Employer section and return to you to have completed by your parent and then take to your school to obtain the work permit. We must have the work permit no later than 2 weeks prior to your start date.
- Medical Consent form (PDF, 33 KB). If applicable, please have your parent or guardian complete, sign, and return this form.
Please be sure to save and submit all forms as separate attachments in your email.
5. Schedule a drug screening analysis as soon as possible.
A pre-employment drug screen must be completed within 90 calendar days prior to your start date.*
Refer to the Job Candidate Instructions for Drug Screening Analysis instructions (PDF, 330 KB) for drug screening information.
- Local California Candidates (if you live in the Livermore area)
To schedule your drug screening analysis onsite in Livermore, please contact Sandia Medical in Livermore at (925) 294-2700.
- All Non-Local Candidates
To request a drug screening packet and location, contact Sandia Medical at (505) 844-1892.
*If a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance investigation is required, depending on your start date, it may require you complete two separate drug screens to meet both the immediate clearance required drug test and your pre-employment drug test (required within 90 days of your start date). If you believe it will take you two tests to complete the drug screen requirements, request two drug screen forms.
6. Learn about relocation benefits.
If you accept the job offer and are approved for relocation benefits based upon your submittal of the Student Intern Relocation Benefits Request form (PDF, 198 KB), you will be contacted by TRC Global Mobility to initiate and discuss the reimbursement process. At your request, TRC (1-800-783-5337) will provide a pre-decision consultation about these benefits.
7. Review these resources:
- Intern housing resources
- Sandia's Employee Handbook (PDF, 9.6 MB)
- Please note that intern benefits do not match those of employees. For example, interns do not receive vacation, or holiday pay, and only year-round interns (excluding high school students) are eligible to receive basic medical benefits (no dental or vision coverage). Learn more about your benefits as an intern.
- Connect with our student intern community:
- Once you have officially accepted your student intern offer, you may request to join the Sandia Labs Students CA Facebook (FB) group.
- Before you arrive, you can use this group to start connecting with other interns from around the country—or even from your own school. The FB group can also help connect you to the Sandia California Intern Community and share information on events.
- If your Facebook account name does not match your application, please notify the SNL CA FB Administrator.
- Please follow Sandia’s social media guidelines when posting.
8. Take initial steps for a DOE security clearance investigation, if requested.
Sandia’s Personnel Security Clearance Office will ask you to complete the following steps below if you will need a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance. If you receive a request, please complete these steps as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your clearance investigation.
- Complete security clearance required drug screen as soon as your manager starts the clearance process. If you are unsure whether you will require a security clearance, verify with your manager prior to your drug screening (see Step 4 above for drug screening process).
- Follow the instructions from Sandia’s Personnel Security Clearance Office on how to proceed with your clearance investigation process.
- You will receive an email from the USAccess Credentialing Center. The email will provide instructions for processing fingerprints and identity verification at a Credential Center nearest you; if the location is more than 30 miles from your residence, contact Sandia’s Student Intern Program to determine if you are eligible for travel reimbursement.
- Complete and submit the SF86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions via the Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Process (e-QIP) system. Refer to the guide for completing the SF86 (PDF, 97 KB) in preparation to complete the form