Effect of Nuclear Data Uncertainty on Radiation Damage Metrics It is critical that we understand the uncertainty in our nuclear data and how this uncertainty influences our applications. Sandia has done extensive work to understand the uncertainty contributors. Recent work has focused on the uncertainty in the silicon damage metrics used by the semiconductor community. In these studies, we examined neutron damage metrics such as displacement damage, ionizing dose, and LET distributions from recoil atoms that are a metric for single event effects. For these damage metrics we examined and quantified uncertainty contributions due to the underlying silicon cross sections, the recoil atom spectrum, silicon interaction potentials, and the recoil ion stopping power. Our investigations of the uncertainty not only look at the magnitude of the neutron energy-dependent uncertainty but also look at the energy-dependent correlations. This is done by presenting a covariance matrix for each of the damage metrics, typically by presenting the energy-dependent standard deviation and the correlation matrix.
Contact: Patrick Griffin
- P.J. Griffin, et al., “Uncertainty Characterization of Silicon Damage Metrics”, IEEE TNS, Vol. 66, Jan. 2019
- P.J. Griffin, et al., “Impact of Nuclear Data Uncertainty in the Modeling of Neutron-Induced Recoil Atom Energy Distributions in Silicon”, IEEE TNS, Vol. 66, July 2019
- P. J. Griffin, D. W. Vehar, E. J. Parma and K. D. Hahn, "Rigorous uncertainty propagation using a dosimetry transfer calibration", Proc. 16th Int. Symp. on Reactor Dosimetry, pp. 124-134, 2018
- P. J. Griffin, D. Rochman and A. Konig, "Characterization of the energy-dependent uncertainty and correlation in silicon neutron displacement damage metrics", Proc. Int. Conf. Nucl. Data Sci. Technol. (ND), vol. 146, pp. 1-6, 2017
- P. J. Griffin and P. J. Cooper, "Influence of the damage partition function on the uncertainty of the silicon displacement damage metric", IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 574-581, Jan. 2017
- P. J. Griffin, "Relationship between metrics used to represent displacement damage in materials", SAND2014-3341 (internal link)