The Department of Energy’s Mentor-Protégé Program is designed to encourage DOE prime contractors, such as Sandia National Laboratories, to lead a program which assists small business concerns, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and other minority institutions of higher learning. The program seeks to foster long-term business relationships and increase the overall number of subcontracts awarded to small business protégés.
Timeline for Mentor-Protege Selection for FY22
The following table is an estimated timeline of key Mentor-Protégé activities. All dates are subject to change and will be updated as needed.
|Forum to Announce next Protégé Opportunity||July 20, 2021|
|Business Opportunity Website (BOW) Posting||September 2021|
|BOW Closing||October 2021|
|Evaluation and Selection Process||October 2021-June 2022|
|DOE/NNSA Review and Approvals||July 2022|
|Announcement of Selected and Non-Selected Applicants||July 2022-August 2022|
*Anticipated dates can change dependent upon oversight review and approval.
Additional Mentor-Protégé opportunities will exist in future years, please reference the Business Opportunity Website for postings.
|The Mentor-Protege Program is...||The Mentor-Protege Program is NOT...|
|A competitive opportunity – Applicants must respond to the Business Opportunities Website (BOW) posting, complete the application, send in required documentation, and being selected to be a Protégé.||A quick path for small businesses to obtain subcontracts or “pass-through” to becoming a Sandia Supplier.|
|A program to help Sandia foster long-term business relationships with small businesses.||A Joint Venture, Teaming, or Match-Making Arrangement Program.|
|A program to help protégé companies develop or enhance their ability to build solid, established, and successful businesses.||An informal Mentor-Protégé Program, Protégés must work towards completing program objectives.|
|A program to help increase the number of small businesses ability to meet requirements for DOE prime contracts and subcontracts opportunities.||A program in search for same NAICS code requirement every year (Future MPP NAICS codes focus selection TBD).|
|A program to assist small businesses that have the desire to learn, grow, and willingness to apply concepts learned to their business.|
- Receive technical and developmental assistance from Sandia.
- Gain the knowledge, skills, and capabilities to successfully compete for DOE prime contracts.
- Build relationships with Sandia and other entities.
- Be eligible to receive noncompetitive subcontracts from DOE, Sandia, and other national laboratories (at thresholds of $4M for other than construction contracts and $6.5M for construction contracts).
- Register in Sandia’s iSupplier Portal—Link: iSupplier Registration
a. Acceptance must be granted before responding to the BOW Posting
- Review MPP Opportunity Posting on Sandia’s Business Opportunities Website (BOW).
- Respond to the MPP Opportunity Posting on the BOW.
- Complete a Sandia Mentor-Protégé Application, including:
b. Application narratives
c. Small business self-certification (SAM FAR Report or a Sandia Supplier Data Sheet)
d. Fill out the Technical Capabilities Matrixes that are relevant to your line of work
- Email completed application & required documents (step 4) to SDDMPP@sandia.gov before designated time reference on BOW.
For more information about the Sandia’s Mentor-Protégé Program, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.