Become a Sandia Statistician
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense.
To learn more, visit http://www.sandia.gov/careers.
The responsibilities of this position include both statistical analysis and methodology development. Primary areas of emphasis are in design of experiments, statistical data analysis, statistical quality control, probabilistic modeling and computer simulation, spatial data analysis, regression, reliability and maintainability analysis, margin and uncertainty analysis, and metrology.
Further responsibilities include research in mathematical techniques to discover new or improved methods of applying mathematical theory, determining mathematical principles involved and most efficient methodology for solution of problems, and acting as an advisor or consultant on applying statistical analysis to scientific and engineering problems. Activities may include development of source code to identify algorithms to permit computer analysis of engineering problems. Key application areas focus on problems in applied mathematics, research mathematics, statistics, and operations research. Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines is desired.
Desired experience and skills include:
- Advanced technical degree or significant equivalent experience
- Technical knowledge and competencies appropriate to the position
- Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with the discipline's standards for the ethical conduct of research
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects
- Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines
- Experience with statistical software, such as R, Minitab, MATLAB, etc.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong teaming and interpersonal skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience working in an engineering environment
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.