The Sandia Total Access Request Tool (START) is the means by which badging requests and clearance actions are initiated for U.S. citizen Members of the Workforce, which includes employees, pre-employees, PO contractors, JIT contractors, staff augmentation, fee and no-fee consultants, non-employee students, and weapon interns.
START requires cyber access to the Sandia Restricted Network (SRN). Those without SRN access may be sponsored for it if their SNL representative wishes to do so. Otherwise, an SNL contact must be engaged to submit START requests.Note:
- It is the responsibility of the applicable SNL manager or team lead to originate badging requests and clearance actions (e.g., initial request, reinstate, extend, upgrade, downgrade, reciprocity, etc.) for Members of the Workforce under their supervision/responsibility.
- Access requests for classified/unclassified visits and foreign nationals must continue to be processed using the existing Incoming Visits System or Foreign National Request Application, respectively.
- Unescorted access onto Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB) in Albuquerque, NM (where most SNL/NM facilities are located), requires Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS) authorization administered by KAFB.
See Badge Office page for more details.
To initiate a clearance and/or badging request for a U.S. citizen Member of the Workforce, complete the following in sequence:
- For contractors:
Ensure that the Oracle record of the contract (managed by Procurement) is accurate or has been updated as necessary to reflect any changes (e.g., new contract start/end dates).
For cleared contracts, also do the following:
Ensure the Contract Security Classification Specification (CSCS) record with Contract Security Management (CSM) is similarly up-to-date. Confirm that this information is accurate prior to creating or modifying an Enterprise Person (EP) relationship.
Note: To resolve contract-related questions, contact the responsible Sandia Delegated Representative (SDR).
Ensure the applicant(s) is:
- Entered into EP, and
- Has an existing active relationship with the SNL organization that is requesting access.
- Data in EP must be complete and accurate before any request is initiated via START.
- For new-hire Sandia employees, HR is responsible for establishing/modifying the EP record.
- Mandatory EP data about the applicant include:
- Legal first and last name (include middle name if available)*
- Social Security Number.*
- Date of Birth.*
- Birth Country.*
- County of Citizenship(s).*
- Relationship to SNL (e.g., employee, contractor).
- Relationship start and end dates. (For contractors these dates must be within the applicable contract period of performance.)
- Current active contract number (applicable for contract relationships).
- Work Location.
- Valid/current email address (critical for notifications to the applicant when requesting a clearance).
* For updates/corrections to these biographical contact an EP Data Steward in the Badge Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for SNL/NM and remote sites, or email@example.com for SNL/CA.
- Engage START. Be prepared to confirm, select, or provide the following information about the applicant:
- Relationship to SNL (e.g., employee, contractor).
- Contract number, period of performance, and company name (applicable for contract relationships).
- Work location.
- U.S. citizenship.
- Valid/current email address (critical for notifications to the applicant when requesting a clearance). Note: By default, START will use the address recorded in EP; update as necessary.
- Requested access level (i.e., cleared or uncleared access).
For cleared access requests, the following additional information is required:
- Level and category of classified information (e.g, SRD, NSI, CFRD) to be accessed.
- Frequency of access (daily, weekly or monthly) -An unclassified justification statement describing the duties of the applicant’s position that require cleared access.
- Birth country (and state if U.S.)
- Birth city.
CAUTION: Incomplete or inaccurate data must be corrected before a request can be submitted. Some data fields in START are editable, while others are pre-populated from the EP record. If edits are made in START, it is important to also make them in the applicable EP record.
HINT: Consider using the START Data Entry Assistance Sheet as an optional tool to assist in ensuring that all necessary information is identified and available at the time of entry into EP and START. In addition, several brief instructional videos are available, with more to be added in the future.
Upon successful submission, the request will proceed as follows, depending on the type of access desired:
For uncleared badge requests, managerial approval alone will quickly result in authorization for an uncleared badge. The requestor, the applicant’s SNL manager, the office administrative assistant (OAA), and (if applicable) the contracting company’s Facility Security Officer (FSO) will be notified to inform the applicant that an uncleared badge may be obtained at the Badge Office.
Both managerial and Clearance Office review and approval is required prior to submission to DOE for clearance processing. While awaiting a clearance decision, the applicant will be authorized for an uncleared badge and the requestor, the applicant’s SNL manager, the OAA and (if applicable) the contracting company’s FSO will be notified to inform the applicant that an uncleared badge may be obtained at the Badge Office.
Additionally, the applicant will be notified directly by email of any tasks and associated deadlines necessary to complete the clearance request. The SNL manager, OAA, and (if applicable) FSO will be copied on all such messages.
If all required actions are completed by the applicant, the request will be forwarded to DOE. Upon receipt of a clearance decision by DOE, the Clearance Office will notify all relevant parties by email.
Cleared Contract Renewal
To extend the badge authorization for cleared contractors whose contract period of performance has been extended, it is necessary that the Oracle record of the contract (managed by Procurement), CSCS (managed by CSM), and EP have been updated accordingly prior to engaging START.
Upon approval of the request in START by the SNL manager, notification will be sent to the requestor, SNL manager, OAA and (if applicable) the contracting company’s FSO that a new badge authorization has been created. As necessary, either a new badge will be authorized or an existing badge will require re-encoding.
Paid and No-Fee Consultant Cleared and Uncleared Renewal
To extend the badge authorization for a cleared or uncleared fee or no-fee consultant whose period of performance has been extended, it is necessary that the Oracle record and EP have been updated accordingly prior to engaging START. Upon approval of the request in START by both the SNL manager and Clearance Office, notification will be sent to the requestor, the SNL manager, and the OAA that a new badge authorization has been created. As necessary, either a new badge will be authorized or an existing badge will require re-encoding.
Contact a Security Connection Representative by dialing 321 from a Sandia phone or (505)845-1321 from any phone, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.