Review Official Use Only (OUO) documents intended for distribution outside of Sandia and ensure all markings meet current standards before release.
Dissemination of OUO via External Mail (such as U.S. Postal Service or commercial carrier):
- Use a sealed, opaque envelope, or wrapping (double wrapping is not required).
- Mark the envelope with the recipient’s address and the return address.
- Write or stamp the words, To Be Opened by Addressee Only, on the envelope.
Dissemination of OUO via Internal Mail (such as U.S. Postal Service or commercial carrier)
- Use an approved Unclassified Controlled Information (UCI), yellow envelope.
- Enter the recipient’s name and mail stop.
- Write or stamp the words, To Be Opened by Addressee Only, on the front of the envelope.
Dissemination of OUO via a network (including e-mail)
Encrypt transmissions of OUO with Entrust or other FIPS 140-2 compliant method identified in this list of Email Encryption Options ( https://info-ng.sandia.gov/spki/email-encryption/encrypt-alt.shtml) when sending information outside of the sandia.gov domain. Existing cyber security protection measures adequately protects OUO emailed within the sandia.gov domain.
Dissemination of OUO by Facsimiles
- Use encrypted fax whenever possible.
- Use unencrypted fax only when encrypted fax is not available.
- Before sending OUO via fax, contact the recipient to arrange for control of the document.
- Following the transmission, confirm with the recipient that the entire transmission has been received.
Dissemination of OUO by Voice Transmissions
- Use encrypted voice circuits whenever possible.
- Use regular voice circuits only if encrypted capabilities are not available and transmission by other encrypted means is not a feasible alternative.