As the Principal Investigator of the Advanced Imaging Laboratory, Jonathan Frank has extensive experience in the development and application of laser diagnostics for multidimensional imaging of chemically reacting flows. As a leader in his field, he has made important contributions to fundamental understanding of turbulence-chemistry interactions as well as to model validation efforts in combustion science. His current research focuses on laser imaging diagnostics for plasma science, catalysis, and investigations of fundamental electron scattering processes, making him an excellent mediator between the fields of plasma physics, combustion, and catalysis. His recent work in plasmas has provided insights into the spatiotemporal evolution of key reactive species in hydrocarbon plasmas and water-laden plasmas.
Imaging and spectroscopy for high-speed, multi-dimensional measurements of neutral and radical flow fields and dynamic systems.
- Van den Bekerom, D.; Richards, C.; Huang, E.; Adamovich, I.; Frank, J. H., 2D imaging of absolute methyl concentrations in nanosecond pulsed plasma by photo-fragmentation laser-induced fluorescence. Plasma Sources Sci. Technol. In Press.
- Frank, J. H., Advances in imaging of chemically reacting flows. The Journal of Chemical Physics 2021, 154 (4), 040901.
- Zhou, B.; Frank, J. H.; Coriton, B.; Li, Z.; Bai, X.-S.; Alden, M., Experimental Perspective and Challenges. In Turbulent Combustion Physics, Swaminathan, N.; Bai, X.-S.; Fureby, C.; Haugen, N. E. L.; Brethouwer, G., Eds. Cambridge University Press: 2022.
- Zhou, B.; Huang, E.; Almeida, R.; Gurses, S.; Ungar, A.; Zetterberg, J.; Kulkarni, A.; Kronawitter, C. X.; Osborn, D. L.; Hansen, N.; Frank, J. H., Near-Surface Imaging of the Multicomponent Gas Phase above a Silver Catalyst during Partial Oxidation of Methanol. ACS Catalysis 2021, 11 (1), 155-168.
- Gurses, S. M.; Price, T.; Zhang, A.; Frank, J. H.; Hansen, N.; Osborn, D. L.; Kulkarni, A.; Kronawitter, C. X., Near-Surface Gas-Phase Methoxymethanol Is Generated by Methanol Oxidation over Pd-Based Catalysts. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2021, 12 (46), 11252-11258.
- Zhou, B.; Frank, J. H., Experimental study of vorticity-strain interactions in turbulent premixed counterflow flames. Proc. Combust. Inst. 2021, 38 (2), 2909-2916.
- Zhou, B.; Li, T.; Frank, J. H.; Dreizler, A.; Böhm, B., Simultaneous 10 kHz three-dimensional CH2O and tomographic PIV measurements in a lifted partially-premixed jet flame. Proc. Combust. Inst. 2021, 38 (1), 1675-1683.
- Li, T.; Zhou, B.; Frank, J. H.; Dreizler, A.; Böhm, B., High-speed volumetric imaging of formaldehyde in a lifted turbulent jet flame using an acousto-optic deflector. Exp. Fluids 2020, 61 (4), 112.