If you have received an official job offer from Sandia you are now ready to begin this step. We look forward to welcoming you to a rewarding internship at Sandia. To accept your offer, which is conditional upon meeting several requirements, please carefully follow the steps below.
To avoid delays, submit all materials to Sandia as soon as possible using the contact information to the right. The Student Intern Programs office must receive all forms related to your Step 2 offer acceptance at least two weeks prior to your tentative start date.
1. Review your job offer letter and establish a tentative start date with your hiring manager.
Your official job offer is provided via email which includes the name of your hiring manager. You will need to contact him or her to determine a tentative start date. If you don’t have your manager’s contact information, you may acquire it by using the Sandia employee locator.
Refer to the NM Intern Sign-in 2019 Schedule (PDF, 51KB) for a list of possible start dates. You must choose a date on the list as no other dates are available.
2. Read the employee handbook.
Download Sandia's Employee Handbook (PDF, 9.6 MB).
Please note that intern benefits do not match those of regular employees. Learn more about your benefits as an intern.
3. Complete, sign, and submit ALL pages of the following four forms per the instructions below.
- Employment Acceptance Form (PDF) — Complete both pages of this form.
- Affirmative Action Program form (PDF, 111 kB)
- Commitment to Pursue a DOE Security Clearance Form (PDF, 87 kB) — Refer to the first paragraph of your offer letter to complete this form.
- Employee Proprietary Information and Innovation Agreement form (PDF, 34 kB)
Submit completed and signed forms.
Submit your completed and signed forms via one of the methods below. If using email, be aware that you may be putting personal information at risk.
Student Intern Programs Hiring
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800
Albuquerque, NM 87185-1497
By scanning and email
4. Complete, sign, and submit the Pre-Employment Background Review form to Security.
Information regarding the submittal of your Pre-Employment Background Review (PEBR) form:
Please expect a generic email from firstname.lastname@example.org. This email will provide you with a username, password, and link to access the electronic inbox where you will finish creating your account.
Once your account has been created, you will have access to view and send us the PEBR form securely by completing each of the following steps.
- Review PEBR instructions (1st page of the PEBR form).
- Complete the PEBR.
- Ensure you have signed all areas indicated (by hand or electronically). If you use an electronic signature, it must be printable and reproducible.
- Upload the PEBR to your computer.
- In the RMFT tool, create a “New” package.
- Enter snl:SIPPEBR in the “To” section.
NOTE: You must manually enter snl:SIPPEBR in the “To” address bar. DO NOT simply click “Reply” or send the PEBR to student hiring. DELAYS WILL OCCUR IF NOT SUBMITTED CORRECTLY.
- Upload the completed PEBR by clicking the “Add” button.
- Click the “Send” button to complete your submittal of the PEBR.
If you have not received the RMFT e-mail within 24 hours or for technical assistance with the RMFT electronic inbox, please contact your Student Intern Programs representative.
Only the PEBR form is to be completed and submitted electronically through the RMFT tool. You must sign all required pages (by hand or electronically). If you use an electronic signature, it must be printable and reproducible.
As a national laboratory funded by a U.S. government agency, we are subject to federal laws regarding illegal drug use. Marijuana use, including for medicinal purposes, is a violation of federal law, even in places where it does not violate state law. Illegal use of a controlled substance within the last 12 months will automatically disqualify candidates from consideration for employment or for a Department of Energy security clearance.
5. Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS) for Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB) access:
DBIDS is used at KAFB entry points to confirm authorization for base access. Your manager, or an assigned delegate from their organization, will contact you in regards to completion of the DBIDS form. It is important that you complete and return the required DBIDS form to your manager, or the assigned delegate, immediately upon request.
- KAFB DBIDS Long-term Request Form (PDF, 646 KB)
Note: Non-U.S. citizens do not need to complete the KAFB DBIDS Long-term Request Form as this will be completed through a separate process.
6. Review initial steps to apply for a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance, if requested.
If a DOE security clearance is required for the position and is initiated by your hiring manager during the hire process, Sandia's Personnel Security Clearance Office will contact you via e-mail to complete additional steps. If you receive a request, follow the instructions carefully to avoid any delays in the clearance investigation:
(Further guidance for the steps below will be provided in the email notification from SNL Personnel Security.)
- Complete a drug screening (see Step 7 below for more details).
- Schedule an enrollment appointment at a USAccess Credentialing Center.
- If the nearest USAccess Credentialing Center is more than 30 miles from your residence, contact Student Intern Programs to determine if you are eligible for travel reimbursement.
- Complete and submit the SF86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions via the Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (e-QIP) system. Refer to the guide for completing the SF86 (PDF, 97 kB) in preparation to complete the form.
7. Schedule a drug screening analysis.
ALL pre-employment candidates must complete a drug screening analysis and the Candidate Medical Examination Record Instructions.If the nearest drug screening facility is more than 30 miles from your residence, contact Student Intern Programs to determine if you are eligible for travel reimbursement.
Instructions to Complete a Drug Screening:
- Review the Job Candidate Instructions for Drug Screening Analysis (PDF, 330 kB) detailing the timeframe when a drug screening must be completed and the process.
- If your hiring manager initiates a DOE security clearance, a second drug test may be required to meet DOE policy requirements. Sandia's Personal Security will contact you if an additional drug test is required.
You will be required to complete a pre-employment drug screen. Please complete your drug screen at the walk-in location listed below. It will take approximately 4-5 days for us to receive the results.
Quest Medical8900 San Mateo Blvd
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Walk in Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday
(San Mateo North of Alameda)
Out of State Applicants:
Medical has been prompted to contact you regarding a drug screen appointment.
*If your permanent address is in Albuquerque, but you attend an out of state school, please reach out to us at 505-284-4801*
Review and complete the Candidate Medical Examination Record Instructions (PDF, 121 kB)
- Mail the completed form to the Medical Director (address below).
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800, MS 1019
Albuquerque, NM 87185
8. Learn about relocation benefits.
If you accept the job offer and are approved for relocation benefits based upon your submittal of the Student Intern Relocation Benefits Request form (PDF, 198 kB), you will be contacted by TRC Global Mobility to initiate and discuss the reimbursement process. At your request, TRC (1-800-783-5337) will provide a pre-decision consultation about these benefits.
9. Review additional resources.
Connect with our student intern community:
Once you have officially accepted your student intern offer, you may request to join the Sandia Labs Students NM Facebook (FB) group.
Before you arrive you can use this group to start connecting with other interns from around the country—or even from your own school. The FB group can also help connect you to the Sandia New Mexico Intern Community and share information on events.
If your Facebook account name does not match your application, please notify the SNL NM FB Administrator.
Please follow Sandia’s social media guidelines when posting.
Learn more about intern housing options:
You may view Intern Housing Resources for more information about local apartment complexes, alternative housing, online assistance, furniture rentals, and help in seeking a roommate.