The Semiconductor and Optical Sciences Department oversees the operations of the following departments providing new scientific knowledge that can lead to technology solutions in the areas of:
- Compound semiconductor optoelectronic materials and devices
- Chemical science to materials technologies, emphasizing the science and engineering of Metal Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD)
- Remote sensing and detection of WMD proliferation activities
- Laser source development
- Non-linear optics
- Coherent beam control
- Optical materials
- Complex and collective hierarchical systems
- Low-temperature plasma physics
Semiconductor Material and Device Sciences
The Semiconductor Material and Device Sciences group is pushing the forefront of semiconductor device physics in the areas of compound semiconductor devices and materials and nanotechnology.
The Surface and Interface Sciences group is engaged in a diverse portfolio of leading-edge research projects related to the understanding and manipulation of materials phenomena at surfaces, interfaces, and in the nanoscale regime.
Advanced Materials Sciences
The Advanced Materials Sciences group is responsible for the research, development, and application of chemical science to materials technologies critical to Sandia's missions.