Sandia established the President Harry S. Truman Fellowship in National Security Science and Engineering to attract the best nationally recognized new Ph.D. scientists and engineers. This three-year fellowship is named for President Truman who charged Sandia in 1949 with providing "an exceptional service in the national interest" - a motto that leads Sandia to excel to this day.
Truman Fellows conduct independent ground-breaking research that supports Sandia's national-security mission. Fellows choose their own research topics and benefit by having access to Sandia's state-of-the-art facilities and collaborating with some of the nation's best scientists and engineers. Fellows may work at either of Sandia's principal locations in New Mexico and California.
A member of Sandia's technical staff mentors each Truman Fellow. This emphasis on research mentoring enables Fellows to become integral members of Sandia R&D teams, as evidenced by a conversion-to-staff rate of approximately 65% while acquiring unique skills during their early career development.
Sandia's competitive wage and benefits package includes an annual salary of $111,200; flexible work arrangements; 11 paid holidays; three weeks of vacation; health, vision, and dental insurance; and a 401(k) savings plan with company match.
- Ph.D. awarded within the past three years at the time of application or completed Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment
- Excellent academic and research qualifications
- Evidence of exceptional technical accomplishments, leadership, and ability to thrive in a dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Candidates must be seeking their first national laboratory appointment (pre-postdoc internships acceptable)
- Ability to obtain a DOE “Q” clearance, which requires US citizenship
The Truman Fellowship is a three-year appointment that typically begins on October 1. The application deadline for fellows is November 1 of the year prior to the October start date. Applicants for the Truman Fellowship may be considered for other positions at Sandia.
Application Deadline is closed. Applications will be accepted again Spring 2020, deadline is November 1 each year.
- Read the Truman Fellowship application guidelines (PDF, 162 kB), and submit the required documentation, as described in the guidelines.