The Interdisciplinary Design Engineering and Assurance Students (IDEAS) institute is an intern program with a technical focus in engineering design, component/subsystem development, and product testing. Our products serve both Nuclear Deterrence and Strategic Partnership Programs.
IDEAS interns work collaboratively with experienced technical staff in a research and development environment rich in professional grade applications and facilities as well as the cutting-edge technology that is unique to Sandia National Laboratories.
The IDEAS institute is your opportunity to make a real contribution to our national security mission. By partnering with product realization teams, you will propose new innovations; solve design challenges; and further develop your technical knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Experience Sandia with IDEAS! Grow your professional network of experts and students from across the country. Fully immersed in Sandia culture, you will participate in technical talks by subject matter experts, tour Sandia testing facilities, and explore what Albuquerque and Sandia have to offer in a host of social events.
We hire the following disciplines for IDEAS projects: Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, System Engineering, and Aerospace Engineering.
What You Gain
- Digital and/or Analog design experience
- Data acquisition, processing, and exploitation knowledge
- Development techniques for building data analysis algorithms
- Object-oriented software engineering and development skills
- Development of satellite and other space-flight payloads
- Testing for high consequence military programs
- Writing test vectors to exercise ASIC functionality
- Tester interface development in LabView
- Characterizing electronics power consumption for various operational configuration
|When Offered||Year Round|
or Related Disciplines
|Desired Skills||Mechanical design|
Object-oriented software engineering
Interest in R&D
- Use Sandia’s Careers tool to create a username and password.
- Enter “IDEAS” into the Keywords text field, and click Search.
- Browse the list of IDEAS intern openings.
- Complete an online application for a specific intern opening
Detailed instructions for using Sandia’s Career tool to apply for a position are also available.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.