Lalitendu Das’s research goals are to understand and develop new bioprocesses in the context of food, water, and energy systems. Specifically, he is interested in studying biomass conversion to fuels and chemicals, waste water management, and conversion of waste-to-energy and materials. His research interests are in 1) chemical degradation of biomass to value-added chemicals, 2) application of ionic solvents in bioprocessing, 3) biochar technology in agricultural systems, 4) utilization of waste to energy and materials.
Bachelor’s Degree: Bachelor of Technology in Agricultural Engineering, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (2001-2005)
Master’s Degree: Master of Science in Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University (2010-2012)
Doctoral Degree: Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University (2012-2015)
- University of Kentucky (2016-2018)
- Sandia National Laboratories (2018- Present)
- L. Das; M. Li; J. Stevens; W. Li; Y. Pu; A. J. Ragauskas; J. Shi, Characterization and Catalytic transfer hydrogenolysis of deep eutectic solvent extracted sorghum lignin to phenolic compounds. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 2018 (Accepted).
- E. Liu; M. Li; L. Das; Y. Pu; B. Zhao; M. Crocker; A. J. Ragauskas; J. Shi, Fractionation and Characterization of Lignin Streams from Engineered Switchgrass Using an Aqueous Ionic Liquid. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 2018 (Accepted).
- L. Das; S. Xu; J. Shi, 2017 Catalytic Oxidation and Depolymerization of Lignin in Aqueous Ionic Liquid. Frontiers in Energy Research, 5, 21.
- L. Das; E. Liu; A. Saeed; D. W. Williams; H. Hu; C. Li; A. E. Ray; J. Shi, 2017 Industrial hemp as a potential biofuels crop in comparison with kenaf, switchgrass and biomass sorghum. Bioresources Technology, 244, 641-649.
- E. Liu; L. Das; B. Zhao; M. Crocker; J. Shi, 2017. Impact of dilute sulfuric acid, ammonium hydroxide and ionic liquid pretreatment on the fractionation and characterization of engineered switchgrass. BioEnergy Research, 10, 1079-1093.