My research combines computational mechanics, machine learning, numerical linear algebra, and high-performance computing. The objective is to discover structure in data to drastically reduce the cost of simulating nonlinear dynamical systems at extreme scale. This enables high-fidelity models to be used for many-query applications such as design optimization and uncertainty quantification.
In 2011, I received my PhD in Aeronautics and Astronautics (with a PhD minor in ICME) from Stanford University, where Charbel Farhat was my research adviser. From 2011 to 2014, I was the President Harry S. Truman Fellow at Sandia National Laboratories in Livermore, CA. Since 2014, I have been a Principal Member of Technical Staff at Sandia.
My research interests include nonlinear model reduction, machine learning, computational mechanics, high-performance computing, numerical linear algebra, uncertainty quantification, time-parallel methods, Krylov-subspace methods, structure-preserving approximations, and numerical optimization.
Recent publication highlights
- Our paper on stochastic least-squares Petrov–Galerkin projection has been accepted in the SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification. (Joint work with K. Lee and H. Elman)
- Our preprint on space–time nonlinear model reduction with least-squares Petrov–Galerkin projection is now available on the arXiv. (Joint work with Y. Choi)
- Our preprint on using time-evolution data to enable efficient time-parallel numerical simulations is now available on the arXiv. (Joint work with L. Brencher, B. Haasdonk, A. Barth)
- Our paper on analyzing least-squares Petrov–Galerkin projection in nonlinear model reduction has been published in the Journal of Computational Physics. (Joint work with H. Antil, M. Barone)
- The 2017 West Coast ROM Workshop was held at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on November 17, 2017.
- I gave a talk at the SILO Seminar Series at University of Wisconsin, Madison on October 11, 2017.
- I taught Introduction to Mathematical Optimization at ICME Fundamentals of Data Science Summer Workshops at Stanford University on August 15, 2017. (register here)
- I gave a talk at the 14th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics in Montréal, Canada on July 19, 2017.
- I gave a talk at the *Talk seminar series at the Stanford University, May 22, 2017. (slides)
- I gave a talk at the Department of Mathematics Smith Colloquium at the University of Kansas, May 4, 2017.
- I gave the keynote lecture at the U2 can UQ showcase at University of Arizona, April 28, 2017.
- I gave a talk at the USACM Workshop on Uncertainty Quantification and Data-Driven Modeling in Austin, TX, March 23–24, 2017. (slides)
- I attended the 2017 SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering in Atlanta, GA as a minisymposium organizer, speaker, and poster presenter, February 27 to March 3, 2017. (slides)