Microsystems for the New Millennium
Sandia continues its legacy of microsystems innovations through its own research
and through expanded partnerships with industry and universities.
- More than 300 partnerships with industry throughout the U.S. with efforts ranging from
modeling and improving semiconductor equipment to cooperative efforts to advance VCSEL technology for high-speed communications applications.
- Each year, industry produces several billion dollars worth of products with technologies developed at Sandia, examples range from the laminar flow clean room used by microelectronics manufacturers to high-efficiency solar cells for the space industry.
- Our university collaborations focus on supporting academic research and educational outreach and in the rapidly evolving field of microsystems, numerous collaborations involve professors and students working in the extensive microsystems
laboratories available at Sandia.
- As in its "hands-on" approach to interactions with universities, Sandia is advancing its partnerships with industry with the Sandia Science & Technology Park located adjacent to the Labs.
- With these expanding partnerships and its continued pioneering research, such as the
photonic lattice and state-of-the-art micromaching technologies, Sandia is well poised for the exciting future of microsystems.