Many of the unique research and development facilities at Sandia National Laboratories are available to private-sector companies through a variety of arrangements. The user is charged for the cost of using the facility.
A helium-neon laser beam (the red streak) measures particle size, velocity, and concentration of fly ash immediately above an ash deposit in Sandia's Combustion Research Facility.
Following are some examples of facilities available at Sandia.
- Combustion Research Facility: Improves the understanding and control of combustion processes.
- Robotic Manufacturing Science and Engineering Laboratory: Applies intelligent systems and robotics technologies to areas such as manufacturing, environmental cleanup, weapon production, weapon dismantlement, and biomedicine.
- National Solar Thermal Test Facility: Conducts tests requiring intense heat; collects light with large-scale optics.
- Electronics Quality/Reliability Center: Tests electronics reliability; conducts failure analysis.
- Explosive Components Facility: Provides a full range of capabilities for understanding energetic materials and components.
- Pulsed Power and System Validation Diagnostics Facility: Offers access to unique equipment and expertise for addressing complex problems dealing with radiation effects.
- Photovoltaic Sciences Laboratory: Accelerates commercial use of solar energy systems through design, development, and testing to optimize product realization and engineering.
Other available facilities at Sandia include:
Advanced manufacturing technologies can be tested in the Microelectronics Development Laboratory. Special uniforms protect microcircuits from lint and dust.
- Advanced Batteries Engineering Facility
- Center for Security Systems Evaluation
- Component Modeling and Characterization Facility
- Design, Evaluation and Test Technology Facility
- Engineering Sciences Research Facility
- Ion Beam Materials Research Laboratory
- Manufacturing Technologies Center
- Materials and Process Diagnostics Facility
- Mechanical Test and Evaluation Facility
- Nuclear Facilities Resource Center
- Orpheus Site (for acoustic wave measurement)
- Plasma Materials Test Facility
- Primary Standards Laboratory
- Radiation Detector Analysis Laboratory
- Rock Mechanics Laboratory
- Shock Technology and Applied Research Facility
- TIE-IN / Technology Information Environment for Industry
- Virtual Laboratory Testbed
Sandia is a multiprogram laboratory operated by Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin Company, for the United States Department of Energy.
Technology Partnerships & Commercialization,
(505) 843-4183 in New Mexico
(800) 294-TEKT in California
Larry Perrine, email@example.com (505) 845-8511
Last modified: December 8, 1997
Back to top of page || Sandia Home Page
Questions and Comments ||
Privacy and Security