Sandia National Laboratories receives DOEs Small Business Special Emphasis Award
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. Sandia National Laboratories has received the U.S. Department of Energys Small Business Special Emphasis Award. The award was presented at the second annual DOE Small Business Conference, Excellence in Energy with Small Businesses, in Las Vegas, Nev., June 19-22.
The Special Emphasis Award was given to Sandia for its special initiatives, including:
- The New Mexico Small Business Tax Credit Act (NMSBA): Through its NMSBA program, Sandia can provide up to $5,000 worth of technical assistance to urban small businesses in the state and up to $10,000 worth of assistance to rural ones. To date, 65 businesses have utilized this program and another 100 applications are being considered.
- Procurement Council: This council consists of key members of Sandias senior management. The council oversees the corporate strategy for strategic sourcing, including defining overall policy and vision for the future. The council is committed to helping Sandia achieve socioeconomic goals by working with small businesses.
- Supplier Community Advisory Council (SCAC): This council began in February 1999 to strengthen Sandias relationship with the community. It comprises community leaders, key suppliers, and DOE and Sandia management. The council advises Sandias senior management on procurement-related issues. Members also familiarize themselves with the Labs and work with other members to explore business possibilities.
- Supplier Recognition Programs: Sandia has a Just-In-Time (JIT) Award luncheon each spring to honor companies that provide exemplary service in the JIT arena. Another recognition program awards suppliers exemplary performance certificates.
- Supplier Homepage: In existence for three years, the Supplier Homepage provides general information about doing business with Sandia and a quarterly newsletter to keep suppliers abreast of Sandias new initiatives, ideas, and guidelines.
- Quality/Excellence from Suppliers Team: This contractor evaluation program provides an environment for superior supplier performance by providing contractor performance feedback and an opportunity to discuss performance with buyers and requesters.
- Chamber of Commerce and 8(a) Association Reviews: To assist Sandias buying staff obtain local, qualified businesses for inclusion on bid lists, the various Chambers of Commerce in Albuquerque periodically review all competitive statements of work and requests for qualifications over $100,000.
- New Mexico Small Business Advisory Council: Sandia teamed with New Mexico Lt. Gov. Walter Bradley on the New Mexico Small Business Advisory Council and held 12 meetings with small businesses across the state to determine barriers to doing business in New Mexico. The new NMSBA program was also introduced.
Sandia is a multiprogram laboratory operated by Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin Company, for the United States Department of Energy under contract DE-AC04-94AL85000. With main facilities in Albuquerque, N.M., and Livermore, Calif., Sandia has major research and development responsibilities in national security, energy and environmental technologies, and economic competitiveness.
Janet Carpenter, email@example.com, (505) 844-7841
Sandia Procurement contact:
Lourdes Romero, firstname.lastname@example.org, (505) 844-7355