Internships — General
- What is a Sandia internship?
- What is an institute?
- How do I sign up for a specific institute?
- Are all intern applicants offered internship positions?
- Do all Sandia interns have mentors?
- Does Sandia offer a co-op program?
- Are there professional-development and social activities for interns?
- How old must an intern be to participate in an internship?
- When are internships offered?
- When does a fall co-op begin and end?
- I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I participate in an internship or co-op?
- I am interested in an internship; however, my major is not in a technical field. Do I qualify?
- I am a high school student. Can I participate in an internship?
- Will Sandia provide interns with a health insurance plan?
- Are interns considered to be employees of the federal government or of Lockheed Martin?
- How many hours does an intern work?
- Is smoking allowed at Sandia?
- How many interns are at Sandia?
Internships — Compensation
- Are interns paid?
- What is the typical compensation for interns at Sandia?
- Are interns compensated for employee holidays?
- Does Sandia manage the housing process for interns?
- What are my transportation options for getting to Sandia from my summer housing, and/or getting around the surrounding areas?
- Will Sandia reimburse me for the cost of shipping my personal belongings to my apartment?
Travel — Getting to and from Sandia
Internships — General
1. What is a Sandia internship?
A Sandia internship provides an intern with meaningful work experience under the direction of a Sandia mentor. Internships vary, depending on the mentor and the type of work involved. Interns contribute to Sandia's missions by working on real-world, challenging projects.
Most of our internships are in technical areas. However, we do have some internships in business areas, as well as some clerical positions. Sandia offers a traditional internship experience, as well as the opportunity to participate in a technical "institute."
2. What is an institute?
Institutes offer internships focused in the technical areas that support Sandia's mission. Each institute is organized by one or more mentors who work with groups of interns in a specific discipline area on real-world, meaningful projects.
3. How do I sign up for a specific institute?
See instructions on how to apply for internships.
4. Are all intern applicants offered internship positions?
Because we have a limited number of internships available during each academic time frame, we are not able to place all applicants. However, we will do our best to place those most closely qualified for the positions we have to offer.
5. Do all Sandia interns have mentors?
Each intern is assigned a Sandia mentor who supervises the intern's work, provides guidance, and acts as a role model.
6. Does Sandia offer a co-op program?
Yes, students who participate in a co-op take a semester or quarter off from school to work as an intern. Co-op interns must be full-time students receiving college credit and must meet all other internship requirements. Co-op interns are responsible for making arrangements with their colleges or universities to take time off.
7. Are there professional-development and social activities for interns?
Yes. Some professional-development activities are planned during the workday for interns. These activities may include speakers, tours, and some lunchtime social events. In addition, there are two site-specific internal websites for Sandia/New Mexico and Sandia/California interns to plan extracurricular social activities during lunchtime or during evening and weekend hours. Both websites offer a work calendar and a bulletin board where you can view examples of activities being offered.
8. How old must an intern be to participate in an internship?
16 years old.
9. When are internships offered?
Our internships are offered to coordinate with most academic semesters/quarters. For those who live within commuting distance, we offer internships that allow students to work year-round. During the summer, we have our largest influx of student interns.
10. When does a fall co-op begin and end?
The length of a fall co-op at Sandia generally begins the last week in August and ends the second week in December. You will need to determine exact beginning and ending dates with your school so that you receive the proper credit. Otherwise, please discuss your particular situation with your mentor to arrive at a time that best suits both of your needs.
11. I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I participate in an internship or co-op?
No, at this time, only U.S. citizens can participate in our internship and co-op programs.
12. I am interested in an internship; however, my major is not in a technical field. Do I qualify?
Yes, we have some internships in business areas.
13. I am a high school student. Can I participate in an internship?
Yes, we have limited openings for local high school students (you must be 16 years old).
14. Will Sandia provide interns with a health insurance plan?
Year-round interns who are not covered by another medical plan can enroll in Sandia's Total Health Plan. Summer interns are not eligible for medical benefits.
15. Are interns considered to be employees of the federal government or of Lockheed Martin?
Neither. Interns are considered employees of Sandia Corporation.
16. How many hours does an intern work?
Co-op and summer interns work a 40-hour week. If you are a high school or undergraduate intern living in the area and working part-time while attending school, you may work up to 25 hours a week. Graduate students may work up to 30 hours a week. All part-time interns may work full-time during official school breaks under the supervision of their mentors.
17. Is smoking allowed at Sandia?
No, smoking is not allowed anywhere on Sandia premises. Sandia is a smoke/tobacco-free facility.
18. How many interns are at Sandia?
Sandia has more than 300 student interns at our New Mexico and California sites.
Internships — Compensation
1. Are interns paid?
Yes, interns are paid a competitive salary.
2. What is the typical compensation for interns at Sandia?
Intern salaries are based on the type of internship (technical, business, or clerical) and the current level of education (high school, undergraduate, or graduate). Salaries for undergraduate students are determined by the number of completed semester units.
College interns are compensated based on the following levels:
- 1–11 units
- 12–30 units
- 31–60 units
- 61–90 units (This is the maximum for students at two-year institutions.)
- 91–120 units
- 121+ units
- B.S./B.A. grad, M.S./M.A. student
- M.S./M.A. grad, Ph.D. student
- Ph.D. student (completed courses/exams)
3. Are interns compensated for employee holidays?
Not at this time.
1. Does Sandia manage the housing process for interns?
Sandia is not responsible for managing the housing process for interns. Sandia/New Mexico interns will receive housing information via e-mail. Sandia/California interns can view helpful information for finding local resources.
2. What are my transportation options for getting to Sandia from my summer housing, and/or getting around the surrounding areas?
You have several options:
- Bicycling to work is very common for Sandians. You can bring your own bike (or have it shipped to the apartment complex at your personal expense), or buy a bike once you get here.
- You can take the local bus system (WHEELS in Sandia/California or ABQ Ride in Sandia/New Mexico). Check their websites for current schedules.
- Public transportation around the Bay Area is through BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). The local WHEELS bus system can take you to the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station, which is the closest station to Sandia/California.
3. Will Sandia reimburse me for the cost of shipping my personal belongings to my apartment?
No, Sandia will not reimburse you for the cost of shipping your personal items. Interns are considered to be temporary employees and do not qualify for the reimbursement of relocation expenses.
Travel — Getting to and from Sandia
1. Will Sandia pay for travel expenses to and from Sandia?
TRC Global Solutions is Sandia's chosen relocation company. For questions regarding travel, lodging, meals, and expense reimbursements, please contact TRC directly at 1-800-783-5337.
2. Who is eligible for travel reimbursement?
Travel expenses are reimbursed only for those interns whose school site and permanent address are more than 50 miles from Sandia.
3. Are travel reimbursements considered taxable income?
Yes, travel reimbursements are considered taxable income. Therefore, income tax on these payments will be withheld from the employee's pay at supplemental withholding rates. Consult your personal tax advisor for assistance.