Sandia National Laboratories and Lockheed Martin recognize the importance of quality teaching and promote the professional development of math and science teachers in New Mexico. A National Research Council (NRC) of the National Academies report affirms many of the positive findings of other research into the affects of National Board Certification. According to the rigorous and comprehensive report, the National Board for Professional Teach Standards (NBPTS) have had a positive impact on student achievement, teacher retention, and professional development. Certifications are available in mathematics (Early Adolescence, Adolescence and Young Adulthood) and science (Early Adolescence, Adolescence and Young Adulthood). Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend the Pre-Candidate Class and Assessment Camp and to utilize a Candidate Support Provider. These services are currently provided by the Albuquerque Federation of Teachers and other organizations around New Mexico.
Sandia provides the following assistance to National Board candidates who are pursuing certifications in math or science and are currently teaching in New Mexico:
- $625 paid directly to the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards for initial fees.
- $625 reimbursed to the candidate upon successful achievement of National Board Certification for assessment fees.
- Up to $1,000 reimbursement for certification renewal – pending funding availability (science and mathematics certifications).
To apply for financial support, submit the following information to Laurie Bergemann, (505) 284-5204, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidate Number
- Email Address
- Current teaching position
- Date of Certification (for reimbursement)