Clearance Termination - A request to terminate a DOE security clearance.
This process has nothing to do with termination of a contract, only termination of the security clearance that DOE granted you. Completion of DOE F 5631.29, U.S. DOE Security Termination Statement is ONLY to terminate your security clearance and will not have an effect on your contract status.
An individual’s responsibility to protect classified and sensitive information continues long after he or she has separated from SNL, or no longer requires the security clearance. The DOE requires that a three-step process be followed for termination briefings and deactivating a clearance:
DOE F 5631.29, Security Termination Statement and Security Termination Briefing (SEC225) Addendum (provided in one file)
What do the Termination Statement and Briefing cover?
Penalties for unauthorized disclosure of Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information.
- Information listed in the SF-312, Classified Information sNondisclosure Agreement Form;
- Penalties for unauthorized disclosure of classified information as specified in the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 and Title 18, U.S. Code; and
Review the DOE F 5631.29, Security Termination Statement and Security Termination Briefing (SEC225) Addendum (provided in one file) with the terminating person.
Every effort should be made to obtain the individual’s signature. If this is not possible, provide on the completed but unsigned STS an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the termination and why the signature could not be obtained.
- Have the person sign the Security Termination Statement. The Facility Security Officer, Company Official, or Sandia Manager may sign as the “Debriefing Official.”
- The individual may retain the Security Termination Briefing (SEC225) page.
- Return the following to Personnel Security:
The signed U.S. DOE Security Termination Statement MUST be returned to one of the Personnel Security Offices listed below within 2 working days from the date of termination.
If unable to return Badge and form in person, please send via FedEx to the appropriate address.
Sandia / New Mexico Personnel Security Clearance Office
Fax: (505) 844-9739 or
Sandia/California Visitor Control Office
Fax: (925) 294-1330 or
Clearance paperwork becomes Official Use Only (OUO) information when completed. OUO information must be encrypted with Entrust when transmitted over a network (including e-mail). Fax completed clearance paperwork if you do not have Entrust.
When should the Security Termination Briefing be conducted?
- On the person's last day worked, or
- The last day it becomes known that the individual no longer requires access to classified information, classified matter, or special nuclear material.
- Immediately upon becoming aware that the person is taking a leave of absence of 90 working days or more.
SF-4001-CSC, Contractor Separation Checkout Sheet
This optional form should be used when an individual is terminating employment. It provides guidance on notifications, time charging, security requirements, training, disposition of property and material, and records information relative to files, documents, computer and telecommunications deactivation, and ES&H.